Along for the Ride: book review


.


“What defines you isn't how many times you crash but the number of times you get back.”

- - - - -

It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.

In her signature pitch-perfect style, Sarah Dessen explores the hearts of two lonely people learning to connect. -Goodreads summary

- - - - -

Along for the ride is my third Sarah Dessen novel (I’ve read This Lullaby and Lock & Key, which I have yet to write a review.).  And upon reading it, I became an absolute Dessen fan.  She is definitely one of my favorite YA author to date and along for the ride my favorite amongst her novel I have read so far.

Auden is the loner type who acts like an all grown up girl and is all too focused on her studies.  She’s never had a childhood as what normal kids had, she didn’t have much of a social life and she rarely sleeps at night.

What happened to Auden is so endearing to read: the way she learned to make friends, have fun and let loose. I especially loved those Auden-Eli nights.  They felt so comfortable around each other.  I liked how their relationship progressed and how they helped each other grow, together. I also enjoyed her moments with Maggie, Esther and Leah.

The thing I really like about Sarah Dessen’s novel is the way the different relationships on her story develop. I enjoyed how Auden gradually became friends with her co-workers and with Eli and how her relationship with her father, her step mom, and her mother grew.  Also, the characterization is great. It doesn’t just focus on the main characters; all the other individuals have their own personalities and stories to share. 

Reading this novel made me wanna dive in to all the other Dessen novels I haven’t read. Along for the ride is on my favorite YA books list, definitely 5 stars.

 - - - - -



My Along for the Ride Playlist:
  • Brighter at Night - Ash Koley
  • "What do we do when the sun comes down? When all that we do. We do when it's brighter at night."
  • Gift of a Friend - Demi Lovato
  • "You'll change inside when you realize. The world comes to life and everything's bright... when you have a friend by your side."
  • Two Worlds Collide - Demi Lovato
  • "You have your dreams, I have mine. You have your fears, I was fine. Showed me what I couldn't find. When two different worlds collide."

Your Reply