Instagram Feed

Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Thoughts: The Truth About Forever



“But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, 
and that was this: it was happening.” 

  - - - - -

a long, hot summer...

That's what Macy has to look forward to while her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of Macy's father.

But sometimes unexpected things can happen—things such as the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things such as meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder, Is it really better to be safe than sorry?
-Goodreads summary
 
 - - - - -
The Truth about Forever follows Sarah Dessen’s formula of one girl, one boy, and one summer. Plus, the formula of a girl with difficulties falling in love with a guy while finding herself. But really, it never gets old. 2012 was definitely my Sarah Dessen year as this book was already my fifth of hers. I love every single one of her books on different levels but now, I will say, The Truth about Forever will have to be my favorite among them. 

I totally adore Macy. I can definitely relate to how she strives to be this perfect girl and daughter. And there’s just something about what she feels about her father’s death and how people perceive her, it’s relatable. I liked how she learned to confine with her mother and how she made new friends and developed a relationship while at the same time rediscovering herself. 

And then there's the boy. Sa-woon! That is how they describe Wes, the guy who is definitely swoon-worthy. (Just like every other Dessen boy) He is on the top of my YA book crushes. He’s just so artistic and lovable. He sees something in old/broken things as he creates art with things that other people consider as trash. (I wish I could have one of his artworks. Awww.) 

And the friends... As I have mentioned in a previous Dessen book review, I like how she gives life to every character she writes. Each one of the characters has their own personality that brings something to the story. In this one, you’ll see how different the supporting characters are and how you can’t help but remember each one of them because of those differences; they’re definitely the most memorable supporting characters in a Dessen book.

I just love this book. It talked about fear, grief, family, friendship, and love. This is undeniably one of my favorite YA books. I’m thinking of reading it again right now.

- - - - -
My The Truth about Forever playlist:
  • Skip to the Good Part- He Is We
  • "I never thought I'd find the hands to hold my heart. Whattya know? Let's skip to the good part. " "I do and a kiss and forever starts" 
  • This is My Now - Jordin Sparks
  • "This is my now and I am breathing in the moment. As I look around, I can't believe the  love I see."
  • What Hurts the Most - Cascada
  • "What hurts the most was being so close. And having so much to say, and watching you walk away."

No comments:

Post a Comment