Instagram Feed

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Book Thoughts: The Next Door Boys


“We only see what's close to us, but if we allow ourselves to simply feel, and not see, we can understand so much more.”
- - - - -






With her body still recovering from last year's cancer treatments, Leigh Tressman is determined to be independent. Despite the interference from her overprotective brother, physical frustrations, and spiritual dilemmas— not to mention the ever expanding line of young men ready to fall in love with her— Leigh discovers what it actually means to stand on her own and learns that love can be found in unexpected but delightful places.







- - - - -

What got my attention about this novel was its nice book cover. Sometimes I’m like that I read a book because the cover caught my attention…

I didn’t know that there would be a whole lot of religious things going on in this novel. (They are Mormons.) So, when I found that out, I was a bit apprehensive of how this would affect me reading the story because I’m not one. But hey, this definitely didn’t affect my liking of the story. In fact, it was a good thing; it added a different element in the story that we don’t usually get in other YA novels.

I totally loved the characters in this book.  They are well developed.  I especially loved Leigh. She has a strong spirit and after being sick she doesn’t want to depend much on other people. She wanted to be independent and do things she usually does before. And it’s just so funny how she seemed oblivious that boys are not just being friendly but that they do actually like her. 

Plus, the romance thing... I have a liking to relationships that start out as a friendship thing; one that grows gradually.  

And, having a brother myself, I enjoyed Leigh and Jaron’s moments together. I admired their closeness. 

This is a story about moving forward and finding independence, about love, faith, family, friendship, and a whole lot more. It is inspirational, sweet, romantic, and fun to read.

I felt that I wanted more when the story ended because there’s just so much more that could happen to Leigh's love story. So, I was so stoked when I found out that there actually is a book 2, Left to Love. I cannot wait to read the second book. I’m off to read it now. 


- - - - -

My The Next Door Boys Playlist:
  •  Wonderwall - Oasis
  •  "Because maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me. And after all, you're my wonderwall"
  • Nothing Like You and I - The Perishers
    "We spent some time together walking
    Spent some time just talking about who we were"
    Stronger - Britney Spears
    "Stronger than yesterday. Now there's nothing but my way. My loneliness ain't killing me no more, I'm stronger."
    Here in My Life - Hillsong United
    "You are my freedom, Jesus You're the reason, I'm kneeling again at Your throne. Where will I be without You here in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment